Installations

Friday 19 November 2010

all over...Toby Paterson..and Lucy McKenzie


Toby Paterson - Ausstellungsansicht, 2009


Toby Paterson, Hypothetical Relief (Sofia), 2009
Acrylic paint on perspex, 30cm x 30cm
A few weeks ago on a visit to Edinburgh, I took the opportunity to visit the Fruitmarket Gallery where I used to work. Sadly, it was in between exhibitions ('Childish Things' has now started), but my partner and I delighted in visiting the fantastic bookshop.  The excellent selection of visual art books and back catalogues reminded me of the practices of two Scottish artists who began to achieve acclaim for their work whilst I was still studying at undergraduate level in Dundee.  As my practice has developed over time, it is interesting to see how, in particular my interests, and theirs have altered over a nine year period.

Paterson's reliefs, drawings and sculptures reference constructivist and modernist geometric artworks and architecture. Specifically his abstract pastel photo montage style reliefs and wall drawings, hold great resonance and links to my own current drawings I am working on that explore physical and digital architecture.

Mixed Media installation, Exhibition at Modern Institute, 2009
The practice of Lucy McKenzie, who is also a graduate of DOJCAD, also explores past architectural styles, sometimes juxtaposing them with abstracted images of popular culture within painting and installation 
Lucy McKenzie, Salon Library for the Great Exhibition, 1902, 2006 

Lucy McKenzie, Untitled, 2004



No comments:

Post a Comment