Installations

Sunday 8 May 2011

Grants for the Arts - 501 Artspace, Chongqing Residency


I am absolutely delighted to let you know that I have secured funding from the Grants for the Arts programme from the Arts Council England for my upcoming residency at the 501 Artspace, Chongqing, China which is in association with the Chinese Art Centre in Manchester.

During the month long project in June 2011, I will be investigating navigation through digital and physical architectural spaces in the municipality in Chongqing, particularly focusing on issues of censorship and imposed hierarchy which coerces movement within a particular direction.  The research will culminate within a site specific drawing installation and a series of wood block prints.  In addition to an exhibition in Chongqing, I will be presenting the work at the Constance Howard Research Centre, Goldsmiths College and Waterman's Art Centre, Middlesex later this year.  The research will also be presented at INTERFACE 2011 Conference at UCL in July, and the Re-wire Conference at FACT in Liverpool, which is in association with LJMU.  I will also be delivering a series of Artists Talks on my return at a range of art organisations, including the MadLab in Manchester.

I would like to thank the Arts Council England wholeheartedly for their support on this project.  I would also like to thank the following people for their kind and generous help with my application; Elizabeth Wewiora, Sally Lai, Pil and Galia Kollectiv, Jacqueline Utley, Michelle Williams Gamaker, Karen Courtney and Nicola Smith.

No comments:

Post a Comment